Follow the links to book your ticket or use the Trybooking button!
Book Links meetings are held online via ZOOM, generally the Monday evening before the monthly Write Links meetings.
Email the email@example.com for dates if you are interested in getting involved.
Write Links meetings are generally held on the first Saturday of the month at the State Library of Qld and online. Venues can vary.
The general structure is generally:
● 1:00 pm – Networking
● 2:00 pm – Focus topic or writing activation
● 3.00-5.00 – Critique groups
Workshop meetings are also scattered throughout the year and on those days sessions can begin earlier.
Sometime there is a fee to attend to cover presenter fees.
The next Book Links meeting will be via ZOOM on Monday 29th January from 6pm. If you wish to join in please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a link.
The next Write Links meeting will be Saturday 3 February from 12:30 pm at State Library of Qld. This will be a paid workshop from 12:30 – 2:00 then a normal Write Links meeting from 2.10pm.
The February Write Links meeting will be held at State Library of Qld in Meeting Room 1B on Saturday 3 February 2024. This will be a hybrid meeting so at the point of booking select ‘in person meeting’ or ‘zoom session’. If you book for in person then find you can’t come, you can still join via ZOOM with the link sent in the confirmation email.
This is also a special workshop meeting, so we charge a fee to cover costs of the guest presenter. It will be $20 or for Book Links members $15. To get the discount, add in your members discount code at the point of payment. It was sent to you in the Trybooking confirmation email when you joined. Not a member? JOIN HERE FIRST to get your booking code.
If you only wish to attend the Networking and critiquing part, then select that ticket option and there will be no cost.
● 12:30 pm Workshop with Kate Foster – Writing Diverse Characters and Deep Point of View
● 2:10 pm Topic: Write Links Networking
● 3.00-5.00 Critiquing (hybrid – If you are joining a critique group, this will be a different link sent to you by your critique group organiser.)
Writing Diverse Characters and Deep Point of View
The workshop will open with a talk about writing diverse characters, including the do’s and don’ts and why it’s essential to get the representation accurate. This then moves perfectly into the differences between writing third and first point of view, with tips and tricks on how to bring the perspective as close as possible. (Be prepared for a little show don’t tell!)
About Kate Foster
Kate Foster is an internationally published and bestselling children’s author and has co-written books with Kate Gordon and Pip Harry. Her stories have found homes with Walker Books, Candlewick Press, HarperCollins and most recently Larrikin House.
She created The DANZ Children’s Book Award, to recognize, award, and celebrate diverse children’s fiction, and is co-creator of Author Pen Pals. Kate is passionate about encouraging and teaching a wider understanding of autism and mental illness via a positive approach and representation in her books.
Venue: State Library of Queensland, Meeting Room 1B
Cultural Precinct, Stanley Place, South Brisbane 4101
OR online via ZOOM
Special dates to mark in your diary for 2024 are:
- Saturday 3 February – Write Links workshop with Kate Foster BOOK HERE
- Saturday 2 March – Write Links meeting
- Wednesday 20 March – Romancing the Stars @Sequel Books
- Saturday 6 April – Write Links meeting
- 20 -21 April – Writers Retreat – Woodlands of Marburg
- 22 – 25 April – StoryArts Exhibition at Richard Randall Art Studio
- 24 April – Up Late at the StoryArts Exhibition
- Saturday 4 May – Write Links Meeting
- 18 – 19 May – Illustrators Retreat – Woodlands of Marburg
- Wednesday 22 May – The Narelle Oliver Lecture with Katrina Nannestad @St Aidan’s Anglican Girls School, Corinda
Woodlands Retreat – Writing
Saturday: 20 April 2024
Follow the link to book your spot and for instructions on how to book on site accommodation and meals if required. Dinner in the mansion Saturday night.