As part of National Year of Reading, Book Links Qld is holding The Big Read to celebrate stories set in Queensland.
After much consultation we have put together three lists of books in print that met our criteria.
The sections are Older Readers, Younger Readers and Picture Books. The task is to read as many books from the list as you can, then vote for the one that you feel best defines Queensland (in the three categories).
You need to record your vote by the 31st July 2012. The results of the voting will be announced on Saturday 25th August. Event information will be advertised on the Book Links Blog in the future.
You can vote online or print off a copy of the form. ONLINE VOTING is on the Ipswich City Council library website. Details for printing and post your vote, see below for details.
- Michael Bauer – The Running Man – Scholastic
- Chris Bongers – Dust – Random House
- Nick Earls – 48 Shades of Brown – Penguin
- Steven Herrick – By the River – Allen & Unwin
- David Malouf – Johnno – Random House
- Meme McDonald and Boori Pryor – The Binna Binna Man – Allen & Unwin
- James Moloney – Dougy – UQP
- John Danalis – Riding the Black Cockatoo – Allen & Unwin
- Pamela Rushby – When Hipchicks went to war – Hachette
- Rebecca Sparrow – The year Nick McGowan came to stay – UQP
- Jennifer Beck – Crash! The Search for the Stinson– Scholastic
- Chris Bongers – Henry Hoey Hobson – Random House
- Fiona Doyle – On Country: Stories of Nyrlotte – UQP
- Pat Flynn – Alex Jackson: Grommet – UQP
- Pat Flynn – To the Light – UQP
- Sheryl Gwyther – Secrets of Eromanga – Hachette
- Kate Hunter – Parfizz Pitch – Mosquito Advertising – UQP
- Meme McDonald and Boori Pryor – My Girragundji – Allen & Unwin
- James Moloney – 68 Teeth – Penguin
- Trudie Trewin – Lightning Strikes: Camp Croc – Walker Books
- Jeanie Adams – Pigs and Honey – Scholastic
- Jeannie Baker – Where the forest meets the sea – Walker Books
- David Cox – The Road to Goonong – Allen & Unwin
- Justin D’Ath and Mike Spoor – Dinosaur Dreaming – UQP
- Sylvia Emmerton and Jaquanna Elliott – My Mob going to the beach – Black Ink Press
- Jackie French and Bruce Whatley – Flood – Scholastic
- Clare McFadden – The Flying Orchestra – UQP
- Narelle Oliver – Home – Scholastic
- Boori Monty Pryor and Jan Ormerod – Shake a Leg – Allen & Unwin
- Kim Michelle Toft – One Less Fish – Jam Roll Press/UQP
You may also fill in a form and leave it at your local public or school library.
If you prefer to post your vote, then send it to The Big Read, 43 John Street, Rosewood 4340.
Schools or public libraries may choose to tally votes from forms that do not have an email address and post them, but please post those who wish to be in the draw for a National Year of Reading prize.