What is ReadUp?
ReadUp is a library loyalty scheme to encourage children and young people to read. Every six library visits earns them one of five unique certificates created by award winning Queensland children’s book illustrators, including Katherine Battersby and Lucia Masciullo.
ReadUp aims to encourage library membership for children; to encourage regular library use by children and families; and to promote reading and literacy.
Below, you’ll find guidelines and resources for implementing a ReadUp program at your library. ReadUp can be run all year or for a set period of time and is easy to roll out.
ReadUp was developed by Moreton Bay Region Libraries, and has been made available to public and school libraries through a partnership with BookLinks.
How does ReadUp work?
On joining, children get a ReadUp card that is stamped every time they visit the library and borrow a book. After 6 stamps, they’ve earned a certificate of their choice and a new ReadUp card to start again. There are five certificates to collect.
ReadUp is available to all public and school libraries for free.
To take part, follow these simple steps:
- Complete the registration form for your library service or school library.
- Check out the ReadUp_Work_Instructions [DOC 45KB] for detailed staff information that you can adapt to suit your library.Optional: Use or adapt the ReadUp_Statistics_Spreadsheet [XLS 100KB] to record ReadUp participation at your library.
- Download the ReadUp templates, available as DOC and and press quality PDF files, for you to customise with your branding and print in-house or via a professional printer
- Customise, print and use the templates to promote and run ReadUp. Promote online too and create a special ReadUp stamp:
- Web banner and Web button, ReadUp logo and ReadUp balloon jpg images to use for online promotion
- ReadUp bird stamp logo [JPG 8KB]
Stamp ReadUp cards with a special ReadUp bird logo
- Collect completed ReadUp cards. Please report total completed ReadUp card statistics to ReadUp organisers quarterly via the ReadUp Statistics Report form .
- Statistics will be used to measure the success of ReadUp and to help determine its future direction.
- Katherine Battersby’s illustration features characters from the Squish Rabbit books, written and illustrated by Katherine.
- Lachlan Creagh used illustrations from his Wombat books to create a certificate.
- Benjamin Johnston featured characters from Engibear’s Dream, written by Andrew King.
- Kate Knapp’s certificate is from Ruby Red Shoes, written and illustrated by Kate.
- Lucia Masciullo illustrated characters featured in Queen Alice’s Palaces, written by Juliette MacIver.
Need more information? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org .